Sunday, July 11, 2010

Real Issues


From 2004 to 2008, data from Arizona's DPS shows a 23 percent drop in the overall crime rate. The FBI's statistics on Arizona show a 19 percent drop. Although the FBI has not released all of the data on 2009, Arizona's statistics show the crime rate in 2009 dropped an additional 12 percent.

Tony LaRose, an associate professor of criminology at the University of Tampa states,"Crime has been going down, overall, in Arizona." He noted it has been a national trend for the past almost three decades."

Even if you only measure violent crime, which James Alan Fox, a professor of criminology at Northeastern University, said is the type of crime people think of when discussing crime and illegal immigrants. The violent crime rate fell 11 percent from 2004 to 2008 in Arizona.

Illegals pay taxes that in most cases they won’t be able to collect on. They stimulate our economy and bring down the price of food. Check my earlier post for details.

When I hear, “What don’t you understand about illegal?” I want to pull my hair out. First of all crossing the border is a civil offense, not a criminal one. There is no easy path to work here.

Why is this the subject of national outrage right now? It is racism no matter how you look at it! We have genuine problems right now and if you think illegal immigration is more important, you’ve been manipulated by fear mongers who are trying to distract you from the real issues.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I am for legal immigration. I am against illegal immigration and think our borders should be secure. I am not a racist.

Jamie

Doggie said...

My point is that it's a non-issue. The path to legal entry is ridiculous and the consequences from illegal entry have been distorted. Our xenophobia is being used against us for political gain. It is racism.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the path to legal immigration is overly difficult. I guess I mis-understood you, thinking that you meant all people who believed everyone crossing the borders should go through security were racist. One correction. It is a federal crime to cross the border. You are correct that it is a civil crime for an alien to be here.

Jamie

Anonymous said...

I think a major point everyone out there is missing is that the people crossing the border and the people who are citizens of Mexico and citizens of the U.S. contain a very large percentage of Latinos. This makes the OPPORTUNITY for harassment and persecution of ALL extremely easy and probable!

Why in hell are we building a wall? I thought our moral desire and goal was to tear down walls! My God, what a difference tearing down the Berlin Wall made!

And, after all, we did wrest en extremely large quantity of land in that area from Mexico!

David's Mom

Doggie said...

I was intentionally ranting. Jamie I know you're not racist.