Saturday, May 1, 2010

Admit It




Don’t kid yourself that the Arizona Senate Bill 1070 is about upholding the law. It’s racism pure and simple.

These people are not stealing our jobs. They’re doing jobs we won’t and everyone enjoys cheap food because of it. They do pay taxes. In fact most employers wouldn’t take the tax hit to pay them under the table. They’re paying into the system without any chance of collecting at retirement. If they are paid under the table they’re still paying sales tax on everything they buy in this country.

It infuriated me when Palin said 47% of Americans didn’t pay taxes. Either she lies or is incredibly ignorant of our tax system. I tend to think she’s just ignorant.

My kids and I went to the Arizona Immigration Bill protest this morning. MO Rep. Mark Parkinson from St. Charles is trying to get it on the books in Missouri. Another hate mongering opportunist I suppose.

The people in our march were a far cry from the mean spirited, misinformed red necks that make up the Tea Party rallies. These people stand for justice and tolerance, a club I’d much rather belong to.

I overheard my son on the phone telling his mom he'd just gotten back from his first civil rights protest march. That's my boy!

3 comments:

Benito said...

I will tell you what I have seen these last few days I saw our beloved Stars and Stripes flag, the flag from Mexico and some flags from other countries. I saw children, parents and grand parents together in solidarity, my people the working class, they may not be sophisticated but they got the message heard. From publish reports the demonstrations included both US citizens and undocumented workers. This brought me a smile because I always enjoy seeing brothers helping brothers.

This reminds me of a parable from the good book where a Levite and Priest come upon a man who fell among thieves and they both individually passed by and didn't stop to help him. Finally a man of another race came by, he got down from his beast, decided not to be compassionate by proxy and got down with the injured man, administered first aid, and helped the man in need. Jesus ended up saying, this was the good man, this was the great man, because he had the capacity to project the "I" into the "thou," and to be concerned about his brother.

You see, the Levite and the Priest were afraid, they asked themselves, "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?"

But then the Good Samaritan came by. And he reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?"

As I see it, we should stand-up against a law is passed in anger and is against our Constitution/ Bill of Rights/ Declaration of Independence and is targets a specific group.

God bless all my brothers and sister that stood side by side with our brothers and sisters in need. When our judgment comes I know God will not discriminate by country of origin as men do.

Doggie said...

One world, one people!

Anonymous said...

It is very encouraging to see responses to these postings - it lets me know someone is reading them!

Dave's Mom